G37 Sedan

Infiniti battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Infiniti battery problem

I was away for 4 months and used a trickle charger to keep my G37's battery from discharging. It didn't work, although it has worked just fine on all my other cars in the past. I called Infiniti road service and the serviceman informed me that because of all the electronics that drain the battery, trickle chargers don't work on Infinitis. He also said that Infiniti batteries are not very good. He did start it up and it is now starting after letting it run for awhile. In the future, should I disconnect the battery completely? Do I connect the positive and negative clips directly to the battery? With the trickle charger you are supposed to connect the red clip (positive) to the positive post of the battery and the black clip to the engine block or other ground. Please advise.

'11 g37 premium sedan/nav and most other options
Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Completely disconnect the battery and remove it. Then put the trickle charger on the battery.

Yes, red is + and black is -.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 PM
aj37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the navy's ballistic submarine fleet, so I'm gone for 2.5-3 months at a time. Since my wife can't drive she usually starts the car up with the garage door open and runs it for 15 min at least once a week to keep everything running smooth for when I get home
Old 10-17-2012, 06:47 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Bad batteries, eh? I had an '04 G35 that went 6 years and 80k miles with the factory battery.

When I deployed to Iraq in '06, it essentially sat for 6 months and started right up. *shrug*
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM
forrmark

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Completely disconnect the battery and remove it. Then put the trickle charger on the battery.

Yes, red is + and black is -.
Thanks, black Betty. I will do that the next time I will be away for a while.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:21 AM
forrmark

Originally Posted by MACS
Bad batteries, eh? I had an '04 G35 that went 6 years and 80k miles with the factory battery.

When I deployed to Iraq in '06, it essentially sat for 6 months and started right up. *shrug*
The serviceman from Infiniti road service said that Infiniti batteries weren't
good, not me.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
blazeplacid

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by MACS

Same experiance here

I had an 04 G35 and the battery was great even with 2 amps!

The battery quit in 2009
Old 12-05-2012, 01:01 AM
handleandrew
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
not sure if its applicable for the 2011s but in my 08 i would get a dead battery after about 4 months even when driving. i did a bunch of research on here and found out that there is a vent control valve (reference no. itb-10-010b) that replaces the original valve due to a drain on the battery. brought it to the dealer, they did the repair and put in a M45 battery with 700CCA. its been over a year and i have had no problem. maybe this is something to look into for the 2011s
Old 12-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Sarcastik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by handleandrew
not sure if its applicable for the 2011s but in my 08 i would get a dead battery after about 4 months even when driving. i did a bunch of research on here and found out that there is a vent control valve (reference no. itb-10-010b) that replaces the original valve due to a drain on the battery. brought it to the dealer, they did the repair and put in a M45 battery with 700CCA. its been over a year and i have had no problem. maybe this is something to look into for the 2011s
Fuggg....how am I just finding out about this now. I have a '09 G and my wife has an '08 and since 08 her car is now on its 3rd battery. They work fine for a while and then they just die. The last one lasted less than a year and it never really starts strong. This is definitely the issue, but I doubt they will fix it since its out of warranty.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:32 AM
forrmark

Infiniti battery problem

Originally Posted by handleandrew
Is this applicable to the 2011's? Does anyone know?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:04 PM
mishmosh

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Because my car is often a weekend car, I used to get no power after 5 days or so. I ended up with the Battery Tender Jr. Comes with a little pigtail connector that you can access from the windshield wiper area. No problems with it although I haven't left the car for a really long time. I know older G35s had a TSB identifying BCM and Evap solenoid issues that caused the drain of the battery. I actually replaced the Evap solenoid with the newer part listed in the TSB. No issues but I still use the Battery Tender.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Iilac
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Does anyone have the link to the tsb? The battery in my 07 G goes dead in a week if I do not drive. This is definitely not normal
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 PM
mishmosh

Look up:
ITB10-010b 2008-2009 INFINITI G37 COUPE; BATTERY LOW VOLTAGE / NO START

There is also another tsb dealing with the same EVAP canister vent control valve. I replaced the vent control valve on my 2007 with the new style and haven't had a dead battery even when I forget to use the battery tender. I would highly recommend this for sedans if you have dead battery issues. I have no idea why there is a tsb for the coupe but not for the sedan. I brought my car the very first winter to complain about this problem. The dealer said the power draw was normal but replaced the battery since repeated full drains really damages these batteries. Didn't help. After that, they just ignored my insistence that something is not right and all they recommended was to disconnect the battery when not in use. Crazy!!!
Old 12-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Iilac
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mishmosh
Look up:
ITB10-010b 2008-2009 INFINITI G37 COUPE; BATTERY LOW VOLTAGE / NO START

There is also another tsb dealing with the same EVAP canister vent control valve. I replaced the vent control valve on my 2007 with the new style and haven't had a dead battery even when I forget to use the battery tender. I would highly recommend this for sedans if you have dead battery issues. I have no idea why there is a tsb for the coupe but not for the sedan. I brought my car the very first winter to complain about this problem. The dealer said the power draw was normal but replaced the battery since repeated full drains really damages these batteries. Didn't help. After that, they just ignored my insistence that something is not right and all they recommended was to disconnect the battery when not in use. Crazy!!!

Thanks Mishmosh

Was the vent control hard to replace?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
mishmosh

Originally Posted by Iilac
Thanks Mishmosh

Was the vent control hard to replace?
Pretty easy. Put rear up in jack stands. I think a couple of bolts on the underside of the rear diffuser, maybe a clip or two. I think the valve just twists into the evap canister. Pay attention to how you found it (orientation wise) and how you twist it to unlock it.

Quick Reply: Infiniti battery problem