G37 Sedan

should i buy extended warrenty from infiniti?

Old 05-20-2012, 12:51 PM
09g37xinfo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should i buy extended warrenty from infiniti?

i just bought an 09 g37x with 30700 miles on it. the bumper to. umper warrenty is still good for approx another year. infiniti is offering an extended bumper to bumper warrenty for $1500. it gets me 2 extra years after the factory is up.
i dont plan on buying it unless you guys know of any problems the car is prone to having in that timeframe that are costly or if theres a lrice u would suggest that makes it worth it if i can negotiate with infiniti. thanks alot.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
no. the car is very reliable if maintained in accordance with manufacturer's requirements. it already comes with a 6 yr powertrain warranty.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:11 PM
09g37xinfo

thanks. they try to scare u and say a sencor or button can go on the car nd it can be real expensive. im fine taking the risk. was hust checking to see if the g37 is probe to any specifec problems everyone knowes bout. thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 04:31 PM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Generally, insurance companies make money for a reason. Disaster does less overall damage than the premiums they collect.

That said, there's a ton of different extended warranties available. They are priced based on mileage AND time. For example, a 2-year 24000 mile extended warranty will be cheaper than a 2-year, 36000 mile extended warranty. And you might be able to get an extended warranty for more than 2 years.

In addition, you can go 0 deductible, $50 deductible, and $100 deductible. The bigger the deductible, the cheaper the warranty.

I would call around to Nashua, NH Infiniti and Circle Infiniti to check what's available for your car. They were price leaders in extended warranties as of a couple of years ago.

It doesn't matter where you buy the warranty from - it does not have to be from your personal dealer. They compete on price all over the country for your business.

Before you decide one way or the other, check and see what's available and what kind of price you can get.
The following users liked this post:
Vic555 (04-15-2020)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 PM
09g37xinfo

cool thanks for all your input
Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm surprised no one has said this before......if you plan on modding then no because some mods will void the warranty (like tuning).

With that said in my expierence and people I know, makers of the extended warranty will ALWAYS try to get out of fixing something. Myself, as well as people I know, have had nothing but trouble. Infiniti my however be different...idk. Just speaking from personal expierence.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Had an extended warranty for our BMW 745Li, the fine print w/ those warranties is mind boggling. I knew pretty much any big ticket expense would be voided when I saw "any failure do to overheating". How the hell can you disprove that your 20k blown motor didn't overheat prior to failing, or transmission, control modules, etc, etc. By the time you get through any litigation you've already burned through your $1500 (probably x3)
Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Infiniti Elite Protection and Nissan Gold Preferred are excellent warranties. You'll pray you never want to use them, but a lot of people have gotten their money back and then some. Third party warranties is where I'd be a bit leery. They do try to get out of it. There are a few that are decent, but for the most part I would stick with a factory extended warranty.

Infiniti Elite Protection Plans | Infinity Car Warranty Maintenance Plan Request a quote.
Vic555 (04-15-2020)
Old 05-20-2012, 11:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
Infiniti Elite Protection and Nissan Gold Preferred are excellent warranties. You'll pray you never want to use them, but a lot of people have gotten their money back and then some. Third party warranties is where I'd be a bit leery. They do try to get out of it. There are a few that are decent, but for the most part I would stick with a factory extended warranty.

Infiniti Elite Protection Plans | Infinity Car Warranty Maintenance Plan Request a quote.
Good point, Infiniti does have their reputation at stake, and selling shady warranties wouldn't help their bottom line. Not in the same league as the "snake-oil" type warranty that I mentioned in my previous post. Not sure if the cost is worth it but they'd be much more likely to honor claims.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
G37CPA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shop the price. On the internet. You can purchase the identical Infiniti warranty from any Infiniti dealer in the US. Or just go back to your dealer and tell them you will pay x and no more for the policy. If they quoted you $1,500, offer them $900. I suspect they would take $900.
Vic555 (04-15-2020)
Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ the ones online sell them a few hundred dollars above cost.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 PM
dreinert

I just went through Scottsdale Infiniti in AZ today. Courtney Mutema EliteProtectionPlan.com 1-866-374-3412. Others on here have also recommended her as well. Her quote was $100s ($400-600) less then local dealers in WI and IL. You also get a $50 off if you pay in full, otherwise they offer a 0% finance or something.

The part that sucks is that every 10k miles the prices goes up, to bad you couldn't have got it a 29,999mi. You may want to see if it makes more sense for you to wait until 39,000 or just before the 4 year mark so that way your time starts then (check with the dealer).

I have a 2010 G37x with 28k miles, I was quoted:
$0 Ded
72mo/82k=$1873 (-$50 paid in full)
$100 Ded
72mo/82k=$1512 (-$50 paid in full)

I decided to do the $100 deductable so I'll be covered until 110k miles (or May 2018). I did the $100 because so many are split on if its worth it or not so I figure if I go in 4 times after the factory warranty I'm basically equal with the $0 ded. It's also transferable so I think it'll be easier to privately sell if needed. The dealer said one of the main differences between factory and extended warranty is that typical rattles&squeaks aren't covered after the origional 4yr/60k mark. I'm sure there are more differences but that was the main one that stuck out to me, obviously wear items aren't covered (brakes, tires, ect). I guess Infiniti stopped doing the $50 deductable on April or May 1st.

My understanding is Infiniti Corp requires a full inspection (~146pt) within 30days, I was able to use my inspection from when I purchased the car. You should be able to get one from your dealer's service dept as long as it was an Infiniti dealer.

A little blurb from her e-mail:
***Additional Discount if paid in full...no sales tax!!! Internet pricing not available to FL residents***

The Infiniti Elite Protection Plan will start the day you purchase it and the mileage allowance will be added to what is currently on your odometer (so if you have 25k and you go with a 60/70 you will be covered until 95k or 5 years from now). The deductible will not kick in until your original 48mo/60k warranty has expired and the deductible is per visit not per item repaired. Infiniti requires an inspection and verification of the odometer prior to issuing the policy, so please call or email me for the details. Please let me know if you have any questions regarding the Infiniti Elite Protection Plan. Thanks again and have a great day.

Sorry that was a little long....hopefully something in here helps you.

Last edited by dreinert; 05-21-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Vic555 (04-15-2020)
Old 05-22-2012, 01:48 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dreinert
The part that sucks is that every 10k miles the prices goes up, to bad you couldn't have got it a 29,999mi. You may want to see if it makes more sense for you to wait until 39,000 or just before the 4 year mark so that way your time starts then (check with the dealer).

I have a 2010 G37x with 28k miles, I was quoted:
$0 Ded
72mo/82k=$1873 (-$50 paid in full)
$100 Ded
72mo/82k=$1512 (-$50 paid in full)
Yes - there are some important milestones when it comes to mileage where if you cross the limit on your odometer, your extended warranty options become more limited.

I drive about 5500 miles a year. I need to make my decision by 19,999 miles. That's when I have the most options. I can get an additional 84 months/100K miles for ~$1700 at a $100 deductible.

By the way:

1. You can transfer the extended warranty if you sell the car to a private party. In other words, it might increase the resale value of your car.

2. If you trade your car in before the warranty is up, ask the dealer to help you get reimbursed for the value of the unused time left on your warranty. You might be entitled to several hundred dollars.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Any extended warranty is a complete rip off and a license to print money for the company offering it. Unless it is super cheap (and $1500 is not) then don't waste your money under any circumstance. The chances that you will need warranty work (or at least what qualifies as warranty work in thier eyes) exceeding $1500 in those 2 years is remote at best. You're better off spending $1500 on a slot machine and stand more of a chance to get a better return on your money.

And I don't care what company offers it, the fine print usually gets you one way or the other. I remember years back getting conned into paying for the lifetime rust protection crap from a dealer and when I got rust (and perforated) at the edge of my hood, they looked at it and said sorry it's not covered because it's along a seam and that's not covered. Of course they didn't state that in the agreement specifically, the way it was worded was it only applies to high risk areas but it was so ridiculously worded all you could do was shake your head. Of course when they are trying to sell you that crap they always say every area is covered no matter what and don;t worry about the way it's worded.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 05-22-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:13 PM
dreinert

To Dan's point, there are certainly many people that don't get their money back from extended warranties. It's up to you and additinally what coverage you want/can justify.

This is the first time owning an Infiniti so although I have heard "great quality no big issues" I'd rather put forth money now knowing about it rather than later hearing a clunk and having a huge dealer bill. Additionally with all the electronics and how crappy the 7AT transmission shifts I figured it'd be worth it.

Prior to my G37 I owned a Pontiac Bonneville SSEI; I bought it with 70k miles and sold it at 155k aside from general maint, tires & brakes I think I had spent only spent $400 in ball joints and tie rod ends. Then I bought a certified Pontiac G6 GTP with 50k miles and traded it a 96k, during my 46k miles my extras were 2 head gaskets at seperate times (GM covered both one was after the warrenty exp but GM did it for 'loyalty'), the 5k miles later I had a clunk up front that was 2 ball joints (joined by design to the lower control arms), 1 leaking strut, and 2 tie rod connectors, plus an additional $500 in misc garbage issues.

I'm not trying to compare GM to Infiniti but just making a point that after dropping $1800 on the G6 for front end/steering components (the GM dealer wanted $2400) and not knowing what was going to by the next oil change sucked...so I traded it.

I guess it's all about a piece of mind. Is it personally easier to pay now when you're expecting it vs. a possible surprise down the road? I think there's a poll on G35driver.com where 75% of the people said it was worth it.

Here was the full list of rates I was given (20k-30k mile bracket):

$100 Ded
6mo/36k=$599
36mo/48k=$695
48mo/48k=$838
48mo/60k=$1020
60mo/60k=$1195
60mo/70k=$1228
72mo/82k=$1512

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: should i buy extended warrenty from infiniti?