General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Recommended Oil - Need advice

Old 11-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Brink2011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended Oil - Need advice

I just recently purchased a 2008 G37S 6MT with 27,000 miles and lookikng at replacing all fluids. Been reading though multiple posts and have come to the conclusion for the following Oils. Motor oil -- Redline 5W-30, Manual Transmission fluid -- Redline MT85, and Differential fluid -- Redline 75W-90. My questions are:
1) are these the correct viscosity oils that I should be using for each application?

2) Is there any feedback or other G37 owners UOA's that support the use of these Redline fluids in the G37S?

3) Are there other oils/fluids that are better performers for the G37 than Redline that I should reconsider?

4) I have also read that a Limited Slip Concentrate is required in the differential of the G37, any recommendations on this and approximately how much should I add the the Diff?

5) I do currently have the VVEL tick/nock and have read using an ester based oil to reduce this ticking. Does the ester based oil truely resolve this issue or is there another underlying factor that I should also be looking at?

I appreciate any advice or knowledge you may have is helping me choose the correct life blood of my vehicle! Looking forward to future posts and proud to finally own an Infiniti!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Don't forget brake fluid too.

The fluids you listed are all very high performance fluids. You plan on tracking the car? If not, for typical driving, I think it's a bit over kill.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Brink2011

Thanks for the reply but no I don't plan on tracking the car not yet anyway but will mostly be used as my daily driver. Any recommendations you could suggest?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Itchytoe

Since you've got VVEL ticking, I'd recommend sticking with the nissan ester stuff. It doesn't really fix the issue, but it hides the symptoms.
If I'm not mistaken, we have a thread or two that has a bunch of UOA's in them. Try sifting through them for a redline UOA. From what I remember, Penzoil Platinum and Ultra give the best UOA results, followed by M1. I use M1 and have for years. It's always done well for me.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:04 AM
JEBperformance
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I just recently purchased a 2008 G37S 6MT with 27,000 miles and looking at replacing all fluids. Been reading though multiple posts and have come to the conclusion for the following Oils
Congratulations

Motor oil -- Redline 5W-30, Manual Transmission fluid -- Redline MT85, and Differential fluid -- Redline 75W-90. My questions are:
1) are these the correct viscosity oils that I should be using for each application?

Engine Oil

SAE 5W-30
4.9 Liter
Manual Transmission
Fluid (MTF) HQ Multi 75W-85 or API GL-4,
From Viscosity SAE 75W-85 or 75W-90
2.93 Liter
Differential Oil Synthetic
75W-90 or API GL-5 synthetic gear oil, Viscosity
SAE 75W-90
1.4 Liter

Notice: You may use same oil for MT and Dif. Since most oil comes in bottle of 1 liter. Just buy 5 Liters of 75W90. Less waste.

2) Is there any feedback or other G37 owners UOA's that support the use of these Redline fluids in the G37S?
We have UOA's on MOTUL 300V 5W30
Name:  UOA16.jpg
Views: 6645
Size:  189.1 KB

3) Are there other oils/fluids that are better performers for the G37 than Redline that I should reconsider?
MOTUL 100% Synthetic Ester Base Oil.

4) I have also read that a Limited Slip Concentrate is required in the differential of the G37, any recommendations on this and approximately how much should I add the the Diff?
Concentrate is not required.

5) I do currently have the VVEL tick/nock and have read using an ester based oil to reduce this ticking. Does the ester based oil truly resolve this issue or is there another underlying factor that I should also be looking at?
Upper engine noise such as ticking and knocking. Are result of one or more of the following.

1. Carbon Build-up on valves
2. Bent pushrod
3. Inadequate Valve Clearanace
4. Wobble Camshaft

So use of ester oil IMO should not reduce upper engine noise.
Most case of knocks or ticks can be treated using engine cleaner. Just by removing carbon build-up in most cases engine ticks has been treated. Ask your local tech if they will clean upper engine before flushing your engine oil.

Use MOTUL Engine clean regularly. Very inexpensive way to keep your engine free of noises, clean oil, and performance of your engine.

Checkout video explaining MOTUL Engine Clean below
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=613819500230207789&hl=en

I appreciate any advice or knowledge you may have is helping me choose the correct life blood of my vehicle! Looking forward to future posts and proud to finally own an Infiniti!
No Problem

PM us for combo deal. Motul 100% Synthetic Ester Engine OIL + GEAR 300 + MOTUL Engine Clean + K&N Oil Filter. A Complete Flush PACKAGE.

For Limited TIME we will also include Fluid Siphon PUMP at no cost to you. So you can DIY and save even more.

I guarantee MOTUL are much better than Royal Purple. And we will beat any advertised price on both MOTUL or ROYAL Purple. So you can run your G37S 6MT with best oil for much much less.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Brink2011

Thanks for the advice I will see if I can't sift through some of these threads and find those UOA's. Kinda shocking to hear Penzoil Platinum and Ultra having a better UOA than M1. I too have always used M1 in my previous vehicles but were always american made POS but never had an issue with my many years of using M1. Sounds like a sweet deal on Motul as well! Will look at any UOA's on Motul as well and keep it in consideration!

Thanks again for the advice!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:00 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Brink2011
I just recently purchased a 2008 G37S 6MT with 27,000 miles and lookikng at replacing all fluids. Been reading though multiple posts and have come to the conclusion for the following Oils. Motor oil -- Redline 5W-30, Manual Transmission fluid -- Redline MT85, and Differential fluid -- Redline 75W-90. My questions are:

5) I do currently have the VVEL tick/nock and have read using an ester based oil to reduce this ticking. Does the ester based oil truely resolve this issue or is there another underlying factor that I should also be looking at?

Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 in the engine. A 5.23 jug is perfect.
Autozone always has a free filter included in the $29.95 price.
Make sure its the Purolator PurOne, or Bosch, they are the same.

Mobil 1 75-90 in the tranny.

Mobil 1 75-90 LS in the diff.

Redline and Motul are excellent oils but overkill $$$ for street driving.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 AM
Brink2011

Thanks again for the advice have seen some pretty good remarks and UOA's about Pennzoil Platinum in these cars which is very surprizing to me never been a fan of Pennzoil always used Mobile 1 but proof is in the pudding considering other memebers UOA's on these oils so will be looking at Pennzoil. Was kinda thinking that Redline might be a little overkill but will keep Mobile 1 up on my list as well. Been a while since I've owned a car that was rear wheel drive and a manual so trying to get myself back in the groove with these fluids again.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Coprolite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am on M1 0w30 right now. PP 5w30 was great. Probably back to that full time with the next change.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll also add that the motul is overkill for a daily driver.

..I'm running P Platinum engine oil.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:00 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Brink2011
never been a fan of Pennzoil
Many of you probably heard your, fathers, uncles, or grandfathers speak
down of this brand.

Pennzoil prior to creating their synthetic was a paraffin based dino oil.
As was Quaker State oil. (Pennsylvania oil)

Yes it gummed up many engines in the past!!

But they do now make a very good synthetic oil.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Many of you probably heard your, fathers, uncles, or grandfathers speak
down of this brand.

Pennzoil prior to creating their synthetic was a paraffin based dino oil.
As was Quaker State oil. (Pennsylvania oil)

Yes it gummed up many engines in the past!!

But they do now make a very good synthetic oil.
Yup!! Always had a bad view on Pennzoil growing up hearing my "mentors" talk about how it has "wax" in it. Different now-a-days.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:59 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah...the Pennzoil sludge myth...
Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 PM
flyUSCGhi

2009 G37x (new)
Started with M1, but had better results with Redline. No valve noise whatsoever with RL and manage higher MPGs as well (27-28 MPG at 75-80 on a trip).
I've split the 3750 and 7500 intervals, changing now at 5000.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Brink2011

I finally decided on PP with M1 filter, based my decision on that other members have had positive results with this oil and UOA's. Will see when I come up for my oil change and planning to send in for a UOA. Thanks again for the info!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommended Oil - Need advice