G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Bike Rack Options

Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM
BluestickG

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Bike Rack Options

Hey guys what kind of options are out there for bike racks? I just got my G37 coupe this weekend and I used to have a truck so i never had this problem. I do a lot of mountain biking so whats the best way to haul a bike? Can I just put the rear seats down or am I stuck buying a roof rack? Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 12:44 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...k-options.html

ure welcome.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:03 PM
BluestickG

thank you for the link, but I already searched and saw that. Its mostly about how putting a bike rack on a G is stupid lol Does anyone have any suggestions on bike racks either roof or truck?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:42 PM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you check the Yakima and Thule websites?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 PM
BluestickG

I did but they dont look good and pretty pricey. Kinda want a trunk one but i dont know what kind, and i dont know if it will mess up my paint.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've fought with this as well. I have tried two different trunk racks, and honestly, they just don't fit the G right. I think its the big @ss on it, but the straps just don't quite sit right and are hard to cinch down. The only way I was able to get it tight enough, I was getting the rack itself too close to the paint for my comfort.

So...I break my bikes down and throw them in the back. Just be careful getting it in...yes...I have a grease stain on my inside roof from trying to maneuver it in to quickly...
Old 09-14-2011, 10:25 AM
adroitcaptor
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucky for you I live in the greater Yuppy-of-Oregon area (Portland Metro). I also LOVE riding but it is not worth it to crap up my car.

I called "Rack Attack" and hounded them with questions. I will, most likely, be going with a Yakima track. I think that if you take better care to install it properly (higher quality install than suggested by Yakima) it would turn out well on our cars. The good news is that the track itself is only 1/2" tall. With the roof design of our cars I think this would not look tacky at all. That way if you want, you can take the towers off and not feel like you are another hipster-wannabe-Subaru-driver. That said, if you live in the Portland area of Oregon you will actually get compliments on your roof rack, the fact you put one on your G, and you will be accepted in all the 'green'/yuppy circles for riding a bike (even though you drive a 18MPG sports coupe). lol

Hope this helps!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:33 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/2943014-post65.html
Old 09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
BluestickG

Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
I've fought with this as well. I have tried two different trunk racks, and honestly, they just don't fit the G right. I think its the big @ss on it, but the straps just don't quite sit right and are hard to cinch down. The only way I was able to get it tight enough, I was getting the rack itself too close to the paint for my comfort.

So...I break my bikes down and throw them in the back. Just be careful getting it in...yes...I have a grease stain on my inside roof from trying to maneuver it in to quickly...
Originally Posted by adroitcaptor
Lucky for you I live in the greater Yuppy-of-Oregon area (Portland Metro). I also LOVE riding but it is not worth it to crap up my car.

I called "Rack Attack" and hounded them with questions. I will, most likely, be going with a Yakima track. I think that if you take better care to install it properly (higher quality install than suggested by Yakima) it would turn out well on our cars. The good news is that the track itself is only 1/2" tall. With the roof design of our cars I think this would not look tacky at all. That way if you want, you can take the towers off and not feel like you are another hipster-wannabe-Subaru-driver. That said, if you live in the Portland area of Oregon you will actually get compliments on your roof rack, the fact you put one on your G, and you will be accepted in all the 'green'/yuppy circles for riding a bike (even though you drive a 18MPG sports coupe). lol

Hope this helps!
Thanks guys this helped alot. I think for now im stuck with breaking down my bike. I dont think my downhill bike will fit tho
Old 09-18-2011, 02:45 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by BluestickG
Thanks guys this helped alot. I think for now im stuck with breaking down my bike. I dont think my downhill bike will fit tho
Why not get a hitch mounted rack?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:34 PM
dpattana
Registered Member

You could look into this SeaSucker Vacuum-Mount Bike Racks. Some guy here also had a post https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...g37-sedan.html.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:34 AM
S-FLY

I use the Yakima roof racks with the Yakima Copperhead bike rack:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...racked-up.html