G37 Sedan

G37x and VDC

Old 04-25-2010, 12:28 PM
MacNH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37x and VDC

Exactly what is the VDC switch suppose to do on my 2009 G37x?
I just turned 4000 miles on the odometer, and under many different conditions
I am unable to tell any difference with VDC turned on or off.

Thanks,
Mac
Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Haji

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VDC off removes all computer assistance and pretty much lets you launch and stuff. With your AWD, I don't think it makes a difference because you keep handling no matter what.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:33 PM
vactor
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i still have the "slip" light flashing on occasion even when the vdc is off. seems to apply the brakes, but not sure. anyone give me any insight on what happens when the SLIP light flashes? the manual is not real helpful on that. ...
Old 04-25-2010, 05:25 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Electronic stability control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keep it on unless you're at the track.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 PM
vactor
Registered Member

Originally Posted by efuseakay
was that meant for me? it does not seem to explain my issue. and i find the esc quite intrusive at times and unsettling. nice feature, but when i turn it off i want it off.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:49 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Nah... meant for the OP, who didn't seem to quite understand what VDC was...

I think when you turn VDC off, you still have the traction control enabled, but not the other more advanced features.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:30 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vactor
i still have the "slip" light flashing on occasion even when the vdc is off. seems to apply the brakes, but not sure. anyone give me any insight on what happens when the SLIP light flashes? the manual is not real helpful on that. ...
My slip light flashes when the rear wheels spin even slightly, regardless of the condition of the VDC switch. From what I've read on this and some other G37 forums disabling VDC does not actually completely disable traction control. ABS still works as well. Supposedly it just turns the volume down, so to speak. I think there is some kind of aftermarket wiring that can be installed to override this and fully disable it, which might be useful for drag racing burnouts or more serious tracking.

Another non-screwing-around usage for disabling VDC is for when you are stuck in the snow. I bought this RWD car with the sport summer tires last november and didn't have the will to spend more $$$ on snow tires & rims right away -- figured I'd wait til next year. Little did I know the D.C. area would have record snowfall totals this past winter season; like 10X the amount we normally get. So I learned my lesson.

Anyway, the point was, sometimes disabling VDC in that situation helps allow your rear wheels to spin more rather than applying braking which might help you get out of the snow & ice you are stuck in. Or something like that. Not really sure if it made a difference or not. But the slip light came on whether VDC was on or off.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:43 PM
MacNH

[QUOTE=efuseakay;2898401]Nah... meant for the OP, who didn't seem to quite understand what VDC was...

You're mistaken. The original poster knows what VDC is.
My inquiry was around noticing any discernable difference under various conditions with the switch in either position.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Ok, I guess I misuderstood:

Exactly what is the VDC switch suppose to do on my 2009 G37x?
My bad!

Next winter, try with the switch on and off in the snow... somewhere safe with no other cars of course...
Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM
indycase

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you turn off the VDC, the Traction Control turns off and the Stability Control turns off as well. What remains are the Intelligent AWD system, the ABS, and the Active Brake Limited Slip which transfers power to the adjacent wheel on the same axle by applying the brake on that one slipping wheel should the computer detects slippage.

Therefore, when you turn off the VDC, you can spin the wheels to get you out of deep snow or dirt (or to burn rubber at the lights) because the Traction Control is off. You can drift your car because the Stability System is off (for track uses). However, you do not notice it that much with the x due to its higher level of forward traction with intelligent AWD. Lastly, the Active Brake Limited Slip is always on to ensure that both your wheels on the same axle are optimizing traction while allowing you to spin the wheels. So turning the VDC off is not turning off the "computer". It's meant for you to get the best traction to get yourself out of deep snow, dirt or let you drift on the track. Hence, the SLIP light is still active.
The following users liked this post:
SKTrainspotter (10-20-2014)
Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Exige

Good information in here also some people turn it off and tend to get a tad wreckless and in trouble be careful
Old 04-26-2010, 05:20 PM
allagaroo

Originally Posted by indycase
When you turn off the VDC, the Traction Control turns off and the Stability Control turns off as well. What remains are the Intelligent AWD system, the ABS, and the Active Brake Limited Slip which transfers power to the adjacent wheel on the same axle by applying the brake on that one slipping wheel should the computer detects slippage.

Therefore, when you turn off the VDC, you can spin the wheels to get you out of deep snow or dirt (or to burn rubber at the lights) because the Traction Control is off. You can drift your car because the Stability System is off (for track uses). However, you do not notice it that much with the x due to its higher level of forward traction with intelligent AWD. Lastly, the Active Brake Limited Slip is always on to ensure that both your wheels on the same axle are optimizing traction while allowing you to spin the wheels. So turning the VDC off is not turning off the "computer". It's meant for you to get the best traction to get yourself out of deep snow, dirt or let you drift on the track. Hence, the SLIP light is still active.
I also have a 2010 G37xS. I wanted the 18" Dunlops over the 17"Goodyears and it was very little extra to get the whole S package. Do you find a significant handling difference between the 18's and 17's. Had a loaner with 17's and the 18's didn't feel much different on a rough surface but I had no roads to test handling differences.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by efuseakay
Ok, I guess I misuderstood:

My bad!

Next winter, try with the switch on and off in the snow... somewhere safe with no other cars of course...
Nevermind the snow, anytime it rains you can see what happens when you apply too much throttle in the middle of a corner with VDC off.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:59 PM
vactor
Registered Member

so when the SLIP indicator lights up,does that mean that the car is using the brakes to decrease torque to the slipping wheel?
The following users liked this post:
Lances Infiniti (07-11-2015)
Old 04-26-2010, 10:38 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by vactor
so when the SLIP indicator lights up,does that mean that the car is using the brakes to decrease torque to the slipping wheel?
Maybe, it's just means that wheel slippage has been detected and the VDC is trying to correct the issue. Norammly that just involves reducing power, applying the brakes usually only happens once the vehicle starts to veer off its intended course.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G37x and VDC