Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Oil Change today with Pennzoil Ultra

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 AM
haganjeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change today with Pennzoil Ultra

First, let me say that the DIY oil change was very simple and smooth. No problems with the exception of taking 20+ minutes for the oil to drain completely out.

Second, I listened to start up and idle both cold and warm with the Ester and then with the Ultra. To me, the Ultra was quieter and seemed smoother.

A little disappointed in how the Ester looked at 5,000 miles. It was jet black. Just looked very dirty. Foamed up in the bucket when draining. The dino oil I use in my FX35 never looks that dirty at similar mileage. Maybe that's just the way the Ester Oil looks??

DIY - Penn. Ultra + Pure One Filter $35 vs. Stealersip Ester $105
Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's probably cause ester oil is just conventional oil with ester additives.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:52 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by haganjeff
First, let me say that the DIY oil change was very simple and smooth. No problems with the exception of taking 20+ minutes for the oil to drain completely out.

Second, I listened to start up and idle both cold and warm with the Ester and then with the Ultra. To me, the Ultra was quieter and seemed smoother.

A little disappointed in how the Ester looked at 5,000 miles. It was jet black. Just looked very dirty. Foamed up in the bucket when draining. The dino oil I use in my FX35 never looks that dirty at similar mileage. Maybe that's just the way the Ester Oil looks??

DIY - Penn. Ultra + Pure One Filter $35 vs. Stealersip Ester $105
The experts usually say you can't use the color or darkness of the used oil to determine anything about it's condition. Only a UOA can tell you for sure. Darkness means the additives/detergents are doing their job.

Please keep us updated on it goes with the P.U.! I did the DIY Nissan Ester + Pure One and it was still $65.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:52 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm all for a cheaper oil change - are you going to do a UOA at the end of the Pennzoil?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SM_Shadowman
The experts usually say you can't use the color or darkness of the used oil to determine anything about it's condition. Only a UOA can tell you for sure. Darkness means the additives/detergents are doing their job.

Please keep us updated on it goes with the P.U.! I did the DIY Nissan Ester + Pure One and it was still $65.
Shadowman is absolutely correct, the color of the used oil is
a better indication of what's in your engine than how good
the oils is.....think about it. Also, if that oil was the
FF or one of the first few changes, it's got more than it's
fair share of assembly lube in in. Don't worry about it...

Please let us know how the Ultra works out...lots of us are
hoping for it to work well in the VVELs and only a few
UOAs after several back-to-back fills will provide the
truth. Good Luck
Old 03-08-2010, 11:08 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I will be doing the change to Ultra this afternoon. Got a 5qt jug for $28 plus another quart for 6.97. Also got a K&N filter too. The total after everything (bought a drain pan and stuff too) was probably 56 bucks. Last synthetic change at the dealer cost me nearly 80.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:46 PM
rehtea

Originally Posted by haganjeff
Are you serious??? 20 minutes to drain the oil? Did you forget to open the oil cap before draining the oil?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:53 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I just changed out to this stuff too. So far so good. Start up and idle are a little smoother and quiter.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 PM
DetroitG37Joe

I used Motul 8100 XMax on my last synthetic change. Really interested in using Pennzoil Ultra on the next change. It has ester additives, correct?

Subscribed to this thread!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:07 PM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
I used Motul 8100 XMax on my last synthetic change. Really interested in using Pennzoil Ultra on the next change. It has ester additives, correct?

Yes it does. Here's a reply someone on BITOG got from Pennzoil Customer Service. Keep in mind that this is not from an objective source or anything:

Thank you for your interest in our products.
It has come to our attention that certain 2009 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles require a special "ester" motor oil. Upon further investigation, Nissan's requirement is for organic, friction-modifiers in the oil to provide lubrication for Diamond-Like Coated (DLC) engine parts. Esters are a class of organic friction modifiers that provide the performance needed to protect these coatings and engine surfaces. Nissan's general recommendation is for SAE 5W-30 engine oils in these vehicles.
The Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 oil uses the organic friction modifiers and are recommended for Nissan and Infinity vehicles requiring"ester"
motor oil.
Sincerely
Product Technical Service

Source:
Pennzoil Ultra Update - Bob Is The Oil Guy
Old 03-09-2010, 01:52 AM
haganjeff

Originally Posted by rehtea
Are you serious??? 20 minutes to drain the oil? Did you forget to open the oil cap before draining the oil?
Hell yes I had the oil cap off, even the dipstick for good measure! It just dripped and dripped and dripped. Seemed like an hour, but it was somewhere around 20 minutes. No kidding!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe

Joe, it appears from the information Pennzoil has released that
Ultra actually has a high enough percentage of esters as
it's base stock that it would't be considered an "additive".
This high percent base stock of ester is what makes it
such a promising possiblity for the VVEl engines.

I agree with previous post, if you are interested in
leariing about tribology BITOG is the place to start
reading the basics, beware the forums though....
you still have to sift through the stupid opinionated
remarks....lol
Old 03-09-2010, 10:33 AM
SM_Shadowman

So, in other words it's just like every other forum on the web.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 AM
LightsOut

subscribing for more reviews
Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
I have an 04 G35 Coupe with 81,000 miles. I use Amsoil 5W-30 100% synthetic and I've had my current oil in for 10 months. I checked the oil level about two weeks ago and it is a slightly dark honey color after about 12,000 miles which is VERY clean for being in there that long. I credit the Amsoil filter for keeping things that clean. I'm on a yearly change schedule and it's worked great. The engine is quiet as well with no lifter tick. With extended drain intervals, it's very important to keep an eye on oil levels. In my case, the VQ35DE engine is widely known for burning off some of it's oil despite having no smoke in the exhaust. I also have done an engine flush with the oil change so it keeps everything very clean. I check the oil monthly and add a little bit here and there just to make sure my levels aren't getting low.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change today with Pennzoil Ultra