Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help TPMS light coming on and off. Flashing and solid.

Old 09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation TPMS light coming on and off. Flashing and solid.

So I hop on the turnpike today and all of a sudden I notice the tpms light flashing yellow. Then after lots of flashes it stayed lit solid. So I pull over and check the tires visually. All look fine, no flats or low pressures. Hop back in and cycle the ignition. When the car started the light was off. So I went on my way. 5 miles later it starts flashing again. When it stops flashing it just went off and hasn't come back on after another 20 miles or so. I wonder if I should make an appointment now or just wait it out and see if it continues.

Anyone have this issue?
Old 09-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Checking the tires visually is a good idea when the light goes off but it may not find a problem. A tire that is down around 5psi may look OK to the eye, but is indicative of a slow leak somewhere. Put a tire gauge on them and you’ll most likely find a tire that is down enough to activate the TPMS. There’s no need to go to the dealer at this point.

This happened to me a few years ago. There was nothing visually, but a guage showed a slow leak in one tire that turned out to be caused by a nail.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 PM
DJ Hellfire

I know, but the flashing is what I'm concerned about. When there is a flat with a normally functioning system, light is always solid, not flashin.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

So what’s the problem? Invest in a $10 tire gauge and find out if it’s something other than a tire.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Flashing and then staying on is a TPMS system malfunction. It's likely that one of the sensors got unsynced. Happened with me when I get my Volks on my black g37.

The dealer will likely have to resync... and if you have aftermarket wheels, it's not covered under warranty.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 PM
aznutx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same thing happened, it was just unsynced, take it to dealer, explain situation, should be under warranty and free and out in 10mins
Old 09-17-2009, 12:36 AM
DJ Hellfire

Originally Posted by Chekov
So what’s the problem? Invest in a $10 tire gauge and find out if it’s something other than a tire.
The problem is that a flashing light is not an indicator of a low tire but a system problem. I'm a technician for a living. I have tire guages. Had it just been solid and not flashing then I would have pulled the guage out.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:40 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
The problem is that a flashing light is not an indicator of a low tire but a system problem. I'm a technician for a living. I have tire guages (sic). Had it just been solid and not flashing then I would have pulled the guage (sic) out.
Well, as a technician it would make more sense to me to eliminate the possibility of a simple tire problem first before going to the dealer. Furthermore, had your post said that you first checked the tire pressures I would have not bothered to respond.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:51 AM
DJ Hellfire

Originally Posted by Chekov
Well, as a technician it would make more sense to me to eliminate the possibility of a simple tire problem first before going to the dealer. Furthermore, had your post said that you first checked the tire pressures I would have not bothered to respond.
The flashing light is an indication that it's NOT a possibility of a simple tire problem. Also, the fact that the light comes on and off by itself and stays off for over 20 miles is an indication. When you have a low tire with a properly functioning TPMS sensor, the light does NOT flash. It does NOT go out when you cycle the ignition. It does NOT go out until you correct the air pressure.

And I said in my first post that I only checked the tires by eye. From experience, when a tire is low enough to cause a solid light, the there is a visible sign. A 5psi difference between tires isn't gonna set the light (unless all tires are rather low and that 1 tire just happens to go below the lowest value). It has a larger threshold than that, especially on vehicles that have different psi specs between the front and rear.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:54 AM
DJ Hellfire

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Flashing and then staying on is a TPMS system malfunction. It's likely that one of the sensors got unsynced. Happened with me when I get my Volks on my black g37.

The dealer will likely have to resync... and if you have aftermarket wheels, it's not covered under warranty.
Yeah, my car is stock with only 3000 miles. The dealer did replace my left rear rim, but that was almost a month ago at 1200 miles. And they also set all the pressures.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 PM
DJ Hellfire

This **** is still happening. Anyway else have this issue? And please do not reply with "check your pressures" cuz that's not the issue. The pressures are fine. I'll just be driving, and the light will just flash about 15 times or for about 10-20 seconds. Then it will just stay lit solid until I shut off and restart the engine. Or if I just keep driving, it will eventually just turn off. Then it won't happen for weeks to a month. Always happens at highway speed, usually around 60 mph! All pressures are set the same. No nails or leaks ever. No pothole damage. No curbs. Been doing it since I got the car. Now has 21K. Dealer could not duplicate it!
The following users liked this post:
Jerry Du (02-10-2021)
Old 09-03-2010, 03:48 AM
xyz
Registered Member

Same thing happened to me after i did some work to my wheels. Took it to dealer and they said they can try to reprogram it b/c sometimes the positioning of the TPMS becomes off, and cannot sync to the receiver. However, in the process of doing it, the service manager came back and said the TPMS in one of the wheel is loose and probably broken, b/c the tech could hear the sensor rolling inside the tire. Dealer returned the car w/ the light solid lit all the time. Before getting a new TPMS, i tried the manual reprogram procedure on this forum, but that did not help. I bought a new TPMS and replaced the broken one, reprogrammed on my own, and the light went away. If one of your tpms is indeed broken, have the dealer find out which one it is. THey should be able to do this for free with their tool. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 AM
g37s jon

i just put my spare tire on cuz i blew the rear passanger, and now the light flashes and stays on. it's the TMPS sensor. No Biggie just bring it down infiniti, everyone should still have warranty. Just ordered all 4 new tires only at 35k.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:04 PM
DJ Hellfire

So while my car was at the dealer for an O2 sensor replacement, I told them to look into this again. They confirmed two codes C1710 and C1711 stored and were unable to register the two rear sensors. So they replaced both sensors in the rear tires. So far so good. Got a long highway drive tomorrow night. That'll test it out!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:54 AM
dabears

Blinking TPMS light

If your TPMS light blinks then stays on it means one of your sensors are bad or there is a short in your wiring system. Whether it is a sensor or not this is something you have to take to the dealer or mechanic to assess!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help TPMS light coming on and off. Flashing and solid.