General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Engine noise (from bank 2 VVEL actuator?)

Old 01-15-2009, 11:33 PM
Riley
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine noise (from bank 2 VVEL actuator?)

Hi guys - First time poster here. I'm doing my research on the G37 before I buy. I really like the car but getting a bit freaked out with this noise issue.

My questions are:

- I assume this noise is limited to the 09 models since that's when the new valve train design was released?

- should I consider buying one of the many 08 models at the dealers to avoid this issue?

- perhaps wait till the 2010 model to see if they fixed it?

I'm pretty picky about my cars and tend to keep them for 10+ years. Something like this could drive me crazy.

thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by Riley; 01-16-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:03 AM
The1andOnly

This problem began with the 08 models.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 AM
ifinity

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The recommendation (requirement?) by Infiniti for Ester oil at $12/qt x 5 = $60 just for oil, might make your decision for you. Check other posts on Ester and VVEL noise. Otherwise it is a nice ride, classy, and designed for hard corners and high speed (and attracts highway patrol if you like that). I have got to find a raceway to get my frustrations out on having to toe the speed limits. But, what the hey, Safety first...protect your insurance rate. I think the car will climb hills at 120mph no problem, very secure, I think. (why do i think that?)
Old 01-21-2009, 07:17 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
VVEL debuted in the 2008 models.

I have the noise on mine. Not too loud but you know its there and then it bugs the crap out of you. Goes on randomly though, I've been trying to figure out what triggers it.
I'll be getting my 3rd service soon, and will have this checked under TSB. Some people said the Ester didn't really take the noise out, some said it did.

Otherwise, this car ROCKS!!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM
NISSAN TECH

mostly the new ecu programme will fix that noise in bank2 . the ester oil will help on engine performance . on my g37s i m running castro sythetic 5w30
Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
2 weeks since TSB was done and so far, so good. *keeping my ears open.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM
HP_John

At 1st it was fixed, but now the noise is coming back! Not as bad as before, but still noticeable.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Rapture37

Mine was making the same noise..
They used ester oil and re-programed..
its been 1,500 miles so far and no noise. I'm hoping it doesn't come back as well!
Love the car tho
Old 03-21-2009, 02:06 AM
G37nS2K

Originally Posted by ifinity
The recommendation (requirement?) by Infiniti for Ester oil at $12/qt x 5 = $60 just for oil, might make your decision for you. Check other posts on Ester and VVEL noise. Otherwise it is a nice ride, classy, and designed for hard corners and high speed (and attracts highway patrol if you like that). I have got to find a raceway to get my frustrations out on having to toe the speed limits. But, what the hey, Safety first...protect your insurance rate. I think the car will climb hills at 120mph no problem, very secure, I think. (why do i think that?)
i dont think that the ester oil really solve the problems..

i got this TSB covered a few months back, and my car is at the dealer again for same problem......

i really wish my car was lemon so i can get a rid of it and get something else
Old 03-21-2009, 02:37 AM
ifinity

finally noticed the heavy rod knocking engine noise at idle coming down from the mountains at low speed, water temp got up to 219 climbing up, probably the highest it has seen. Car has about 5K miles (manuf 10/07, purch 9/08). not a pleasant sound, must be hard on engine? By the time I got home yesterday, and again today, I did not notice. How to prove to dealer? They seem to deny everything that they do not experience fully. Is there anyone at Infinity above the Service Manager who can make the call? Seems all early (pre May,08) manufactured cars suffer all the TSB's showing up. They should just do the work early to avoid more expensive warranty damage later.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:31 AM
ACleanG37

Hey guys. I'm new here. My car sounds like a diesel truck sometimes. Is that the sound you guys talking about?
Old 04-12-2009, 02:02 PM
ifinity

Yes, dieseling sound, but only happened the one time I mentioned above so far in 5K miles, and since then, the ECU was reprogrammed up from 70c to 86a (last digits of software part number, i believe). Just using plain dino oil so far, changed at 3K and 4.5K.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:12 PM
edubz123

I got my G37 in August 2008 and noticed this "deseiling" sound about 5K miles into it, along with a hard to handle idle behavior after the engine was raced around Chicago. I was one of the first in Chicago to get the car. I took it to the dealer and he could not replicate the condition ("diesel" sounding idle, jumpy idle, etc). It's now Oct 2009 (about 30K miles on it) and the car makes the sound ALL THE TIME during idle or low rpm. Happens even as soon as I turn it on in the morning, has nothing to do with temp or other environmental conditions anymore. The sound goes away above 2K RPM, or maybe I'm just not noticing it above a certain rev range. The sound is killing my impression of the car (which I love otherwise).

I will take it to yet another dealer and see if the can reprogram the ECU to fix the VVEL problem and maybe this Ester stuff will help. I've tried conventional 5W-30 and just switched to Synthetic (Penzzoil) thinking that might help but it didn't at all. Hopefully this will be the fix. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trying to be constructive here without starting an "Oil War", but have read about
VVEL issues, noise, valve train, throttle lag, TSBs, oil, overheating, limp mode
etc etc etc until my "eyes blead".......the common link here is OIL and what
really lubricates the new VVEL system well. The only folks I've read of who have
gotten a long term fix to these problems are using the Nissan Ester, Redline, or Motul oil.

No doubts in my mind after many hours of reading and researching....the VVEL really likes
Ester in it. If you're dieseling or very noisy, your actuator/motor and or
sensor may already be damaged from poor lubrication.

Last edited by JonfromCB; 11-06-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:33 AM
gohmathew

This paper presents a hybrid test-numerical modeling approach aimed at simulating the noise reduction that can be achieved combining passive and active noise control strategies on a real industrial test case. The study focuses on a train engine compartment, where a noise encapsulation is designed to attenuate engine noise radiation, with special concern to train pass-by events

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine noise (from bank 2 VVEL actuator?)