Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

ZYLON Paint Protection

Old 01-14-2009, 11:12 PM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZYLON Paint Protection

Have any of you applied ZYLON Paint Protection on your ride? I got it with my car when I bought it and now I want to see if:

1) What other viewpoints are or if it's a waste of money?
2) Whether certain cleaning chemicals are not supposed to used on this?

I spoke to the GM @ Infiniti (I do business with him) and he mentioned that the self healing paint coat on the 2009 G37 works hand in hand with the zylon paint protection. But I'm curious to see what you guys think.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer or bad news, but you just paid for a very expensive wax job.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:25 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Sorry to be the bearer or bad news, but you just paid for a very expensive wax job.
Oh boy. Blackjack always delivers the truth ; ) The only real saving grace is that he only charged me $100 for the wax job per se. He was telling me something about this apparent guarantee that I get with it. So now I'm not sure if I should bother using anymore sealant or not. Man, the BO gets pretty damn dirty, especially with Toronto weather...it's -16 right now!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

If you only paid $100 you didn't do too bad. That's not a biggie like others I know that pay like $750 for it.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 PM
machinist

If you only paid $100 you didn't do too bad. That's not a biggie like others I know that pay like $750 for it.
$750 would be clinical insantiy to pay for something like that. Only thing I'm thinking of now is maybe getting the 3M clear bra. But the GM at the dealership said it's good to get to prevent stone chips, etc, but after a few years, when the black paint tars a bit, then the clear bra becomes more noticeable. So now that's got me thinking about whether it's worth getting or not.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by machinist
$750 would be clinical insantiy to pay for something like that. Only thing I'm thinking of now is maybe getting the 3M clear bra. But the GM at the dealership said it's good to get to prevent stone chips, etc, but after a few years, when the black paint tars a bit, then the clear bra becomes more noticeable. So now that's got me thinking about whether it's worth getting or not.
I've had good success with my clearbra. Now this is the first car where I've had it on a black car, but typically Clearbras will allow UV rays to penetrate thus fading the paint at an equal rate.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:07 AM
machinist

I've had good success with my clearbra. Now this is the first car where I've had it on a black car, but typically Clearbras will allow UV rays to penetrate thus fading the paint at an equal rate.
Hmm....so it seems like you're pretty happy with it so far. So if UV rays are able to penetrate the clearbra, I wonder why he would have said something that was contrary to this in regards to the paint tarring. Well, I guess all we can really do is take care of our G, and always ensure the right application of the right product is applied to protect the color of the paint.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Hmm....so it seems like you're pretty happy with it so far. So if UV rays are able to penetrate the clearbra, I wonder why he would have said something that was contrary to this in regards to the paint tarring. Well, I guess all we can really do is take care of our G, and always ensure the right application of the right product is applied to protect the color of the paint.
Agreed. Clear bra materials contain UV inhibitors to prevent the film from reacting to the sun's rays, but still allows a certain amount to filter through the material and onto the surface to let the paint “age” with the rest of the vehicle.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:30 AM
machinist

Agreed. Clear bra materials contain UV inhibitors to prevent the film from reacting to the sun's rays, but still allows a certain amount to filter through the material and onto the surface to let the paint “age” with the rest of the vehicle.
I suppose that sounds safe enough. As long as it's barely noticeable on a BO, I think I'm going to add this to my upcoming list of "things I must buy" for the G. As always, thanks again for the great insight!
Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

I suppose that sounds safe enough. As long as it's barely noticeable on a BO, I think I'm going to add this to my upcoming list of "things I must buy" for the G. As always, thanks again for the great insight!
No problem, my friend... And while I'm thinking of it, the best product to clean and maintain a Clear Bra is Plexus.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:29 AM
BiskitG37

The Zylon paint protection was a free thing thrown in when I bought my car. They also gave me a "free" group of Zylon products to take care of it.
Pretty worthless tho - they didn't cover the multiple small road tar spots (that's what they guessed that the spots were) that I had after going thru construction.
I definitely never would have paid for the Zylon protection.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:39 PM
machinist

I spoke with the GM at my dealership and since he wants to keep me happy and keep our business relationship alive, he told me just to bring the car in on Monday and he'll get his boys to remove the swirls and make it shiny. Now I know that you guys recommended against taking it to the dealership for any detailing work, but in this case, it's obviously attractive since it's free. Should I feel relatively safe doing this?
Old 01-18-2009, 01:05 AM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spoke with the GM at my dealership and since he wants to keep me happy and keep our business relationship alive, he told me just to bring the car in on Monday and he'll get his boys to remove the swirls and make it shiny. Now I know that you guys recommended against taking it to the dealership for any detailing work, but in this case, it's obviously attractive since it's free. Should I feel relatively safe doing this?
I've only seen the dealers put swirls into the paint... never take them out, so I can't comment...
Old 01-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Can you find out what he's gonna do to it? Abrasive compounds are not recommended on the 09 with Self Healing Paint.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:03 PM
machinist

Can you find out what he's gonna do to it? Abrasive compounds are not recommended on the 09 with Self Healing Paint.
Hey man, so I thought I'd pass on the news...I went to the dealership this morning and I told him about the swirls. The GM had me speak to one of his boys in the garage and the guy was telling me that when they apply the Zylon protection, they apply it forward & back motion rather than in a swirl motion so it must have been caused by the factory. He did suggest that when the weather gets a bit warmer, it would be best for me to bring it in then so that he can take a closer look at the swirls. Apparently, once Zylon paint protection is on the car, I'm not to use ANY polishers at all. He said to simply use a mild detergent to clean the car...so in my case, a simple ONR solution would help bring out the nature shine of the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ZYLON Paint Protection