D.I.Y. Installations/Modifications Do It Yourself guides and information for the G37. Stickies approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Removing Amber/headlight baking.......

Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Removing Amber/Headlight baking/Removing F Bumper

Ok many of you have asked for this from me and I finally got all my notes together and all pictures edited for this DYI. This mod is to remove the amber reflector in our headlights. Let me start off by saying This is not an official way of doing this and you can easily damage your headlights if you do not know what you are doing. This is only my personal way of doing this to headlights. I have been doing it for many many years now and have a lot of experience doing this. I will not be held liably for anyone trying this and damaging their headlights.
Now on a scale from 1-10 on the hard scale i would rate this at a 6 1/2-7. If you have never done anything like this at all plan to spend 6-8 hours total for this project. Plus 24 hours cure time when you are done to let the sealant harden on the lights. If you are uncertain if you can handle doing this yourself DO NOT DO IT! You will screw your lights up if your not confident in what you are doing. If you really want this done and are affraid of doing it yourself contact me through pm I offer helping people get this done.

Now that we are done with that let me start off by telling you what tools you will need. All tooks can be had at any local hardware store.

2 phillips head screw drivers, one short one long
2 flat head screw drivers
1 10mm socket
1 ratchet
1 ratchet extender
needle nose pliers(incase you have fat hands and fingers)
1 lighter/blow torch
1 pair of mechanic heat proof gloves
1 thick blanket
1 tube of silicon adhesive sealant any color you want(i use black)
2 towels

Optional items

1 Floor Jack
2 Jack stands

Now once you have all your items handy and ready to go its time to get started.

Side note throughout the PICS you will see items with X's over them. no matter what color X it is those are items that DO NOT NEED TO BE REMOVED OR TOUCHED!

First off you need to get room under your front bumper to remove items. You can either jack the front of your car up and put it on jack stands and remove the front wheels. Peronally i did not do it this way and my car is very low and i still had room to work. I parked my car at the end of my garage where the lip of the garage drops down so i had a little extra room. You can see this in PIC#1.

Second you need to Pop your hood so you can access the rad panel and and a few other screws that need to be removed. In case you dont know how to do this You can see this in PIC#2

Next you need to start the process of removing the rad upper cover. In PIC#3 the rad cover is the item pointed at with the RED ARROW. There are a total of 7 push clips that need to be removed. The 7 are circled in RED. In PIC#4 you can see the method of removing the clips. Slide a flat head screw driver in one of the slots of the clip. Then in PIC#5 as shown in PINK TWIST the screw driver slowly and the clip will pop up as shown in yellow and pull the clip up and out. Follow this for the remaining 6 clips.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1400.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1402.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1403.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1404.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1405.jpg  

Last edited by UNV-IT46; 01-21-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:32 AM
UNV-IT46

Next you must pull up the two rubber/plastic panels that cover the upper area's of the lights on both left and right sides. both PICS#1-2 shows these items pointed at with a RED ARROW and CIRCLED in YELLOW.

You will need to pull these panels up and use a little force. Don't worry about breaking anything. In PIC#3 There are 3 PINS that you need to pull up. Two CIRCLED in RED which you can see from above and one CIRCLED in Yellow which you cant see because its under the rubber. Pull up as indicated with the PINK ARROW in the corner. The cover pointed at with the RED ARROW will come up.

Once popped up pull back and tuck aside as you can see in PIC#4 circled in RED.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1406.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1407.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1408.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1409.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 01:39 AM
UNV-IT46

Now that you have those out of the way its time to remove all the Bolts holding the Rad upper Cover in place. There are 8 10mm Bolts you will need to remove from the panel.

In PIC#1 remove the 2 10mm bolts that are CIRCLED in RED

Do the same removing the 4 10mm bolts CIRCLED in RED in PIC#2

DO the same removing the last 2 10mm bolts CIRCLED in RED in PIC#3

Then you will need to remove 2 more 10mm bolts from the rad fluid overflow tank.

Remove the first 10mm bolt CIRCLED in RED in PIC#4

Next remove the second 10mm bolt CIRCLED in RED in PIC#5
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1410.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1411.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1412.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1413.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1414.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 AM
UNV-IT46

After you remove all these bolts you will need to move the Rad Res out of the way. As you can see in PIC#1 CIRCLED in RED move the Res back and out of the way as indicated with the YELLOW ARROWS.

Next As you can see in PIC#2 there are two little tabs CIRCLED in RED that you need to slide the Panel back and over as indicated with the YELLOW ARROWS

In PIC#3 you can see the tabs more detailed CIRCLED in RED.

In PIC#4 you can see where you need to place your hand and push the panel backwards indicated by the YELLOW ARROWS. While doing this lift the panel and pry it up over the two little tabs.

Once you pry the panel up and over you can stand the panel up straight as indicated in PIC#5. but BECAREFUL because the panel still has items connected to it and you can not remove it yet. There are 5 squeeze tabs CIRCLED in RED connected to the panel that hold a wire bundle to the panel. There are also two small clip tabs CIRCLED in YELLOW that holds the hood latch cable on the panel. There is also a Brace CIRCLED in PINK that makes the panel a little harder to remove. Be careful moving the panel around the brace because it is a little flimsy.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1416.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1415.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1417.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1418.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1426.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 AM
UNV-IT46

Next it's time to remove the squeeze clips that are holding the wire bundle in place.

You need to squeeze 5 clips CIRCLED in RED in PICS#1,2,3,4.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1419.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1420.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1421.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1422.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 AM
UNV-IT46

Next you need to remove the two clear clamps that hold the Hood Latch Cable in place.

You can see detailed pics of each CIRCLED in RED in PICS#1,2.

In PIC#3 you can see how to unclip the clamp. CIRCLED in RED is the clamp and you just use your finger and pull it up as indicated with the YELLOW ARROW.

Once you have removed all the above items the panel is ready to be removed. In PIC#4 you can see the brace CIRCLED in RED up close and notice how it makes it a little hard to remove the panel. again be careful when removing the panel because the brace is kinda flimsy.

In PIC#5 you can see what it will look like with the Panel fully removed.

now that you have done this take a break and have a drink. this was the easiest part of the whole project.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1423.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1424.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1425.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1427.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1428.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 02:11 AM
UNV-IT46

Next its time to Start Removing the bumper. There are two 10mm bolts you will need to remove plus two brackets one on each side of the bumper.

In PIC#1 you can see the 10mm bolt CIRCLED in RED and the Bracket CIRCLED in YELLOW

PIC#2 you can see the other 10mm bolt CIRCLED in RED and the Bracket CIRCLED in YELLOW.

PIC#3 you can see the 10mm bolt removed CIRCLED in RED and the Bracket removed CIRCLED in YELLOW

In PIC#4 you need to pay close attention to the detailed little letters pointed at with the RED ARROW. Notice the LH CIRCLED in YELLOW. the other bracket has RH. those letters tell you which side the brackets go too.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1429.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1430.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1431.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1432.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 02:21 AM
UNV-IT46

Next you need to get down on the ground and start removing the bolts that hold the undertray onto the bumper. There are a total of 14 10mm bolts on the undertray that need to be removed. Now you need to pay close attention to the bolts as there are two different types and you need to know which ones go back where.

As you can see in PIC#1 there are 4 6 sided bolts CIRCLED in YELLOW and 10 phillips 6 sided bolts CIRCLED in RED all 10mm.

First start off removing the two outer 10mm bolts CIRCLED in RED in PICS#2,3. These are normal 6 sided bolts. Repeat for other side. This will be your 4 6 sided bolts.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1441.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1433.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1434.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 02:26 AM
UNV-IT46

Next you have 10 phillips 6 sided bolts 10mm that need to be removed also from the undertray.

As you can see in PIC#1 the first two are CIRCLED in YELLOW

In PIC#2 you can see more all CIRCLED in YELLOW down the whole front of the bumper. remove all of them all the way down to the last one.

In PIC#3 you can see there are two more CIRCLED in RED that need to be removed. repeat for other side.

After you have done this all bolts from the bottom should be removed and you should have a total of 14 10mm bolts.

You need to pay attention to one detail. as you can see in PIC#4 the undertray is two pieces and you need to pay attention as to how it is placed incase it moves when the bumper is off. In PIC#4 notice how the one panel with the screw CIRCLED in RED with the YELLOW ARROW pointed to it overlays the other panel pointed at with the PINK ARROW. make a mental note of how they are for when you re assemble everything.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1435.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1436.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1452.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1437.jpg  

Last edited by UNV-IT46; 01-21-2008 at 02:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:39 AM
UNV-IT46

Now if you jacked your car up you can skip this next step and just remove your wheels. If you did not then do you will need to do this.

Turn on your car and turn your wheel so the front portion is facing outward. as indicated in PIC#1 turn the Wheel CIRCLED in YELLOW outwards as the RED ARROW indicated. this process is needed to make room so you can remove clips to pull the wheel well's out.

Once you have done this you will have a total of 5 push clips to remove per side.

Start with the outter most clip as you can see in PIC#2 CIRCLED in RED. Use the same method of removing them as you did with the rad panel.

Next look straight into the wheel well and remove the next two clips CIRLCED in RED in PIC#3 DO NOT TOUCH THE ONES WITH THE YELLOW X'S

Next in look up and right infront of your strut mount as indicated in PIC#4 and remove the clip CIRCLED in RED.

Next look a little further back and you will see the final clip as indicated in PIC#5 and CIRCLED in RED.

You should now have 5 clips total. Repeat for other side.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1442.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1443.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1446.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1447.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1449.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 02:48 AM
UNV-IT46

Next you will need to pull the wheel well plastic outwards so you can reach the final bolt needed to remove the bumper.

Your going to need two hands for this process so i was not able to take a pic of me doing this part but i can describe it. Start moving the undertray/wheel well plastics around. Since everything is unbolted it will move ver freely. Just move the plastic enough so you can reach your fingers inside the wheel well plastic and pry it away from the bumper. You will need to use a some force and it will make a lot of noise but dont worry you wont hurt anything.

Once you have done this it should look like PICS#1,2. you can see once the wheel well plastic is pulled out you can see into the front bumper area.

Once you have done this there is a single 10mm bolt you need to remove right where the bumper meets the fender CIRCLED in RED in PICS#3,4.

Once you have done this start to pry the bumper away from the fender as indicated in PIC#5 Pull outwards as indicated with the RED ARROWS start with the end of the bumper where my HAND is in the pic then move to the second RED ARROW and pull and so on. Pull SLOWLY and CAREFULLY not to damage the paint on the fender or bumper. Repeat for other side.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1453.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1454.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1456.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1457.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1458.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 02:55 AM
UNV-IT46

Now this is where you will need your large blanket. As indicated in PIC#1 place the blanket under the bumper as indicated with the RED ARROW. This is for when you pull the bumper off you can place the bumper right down without scratching it and not have to worry about walking around with your bumper. Once on the blanket you can slide the blanket where ever you want to rest your bumper.

Now again you will need two hands for this so i could not take a pic. But stand directly in front of the bumper grab he upper portion above the grill and slowly pull outwards. The bumper should come off pretty easy since nothing is holding it to the car anymore. Pay attention to two 4 area's. the side far sides where the bumper meets the fender's. I.E. where you first started prying the bumper away from the fender. and the two inner portions where the bumper meets the fender I.E. where you removed the brackets from. Just watch those area's to be sure you done bump the bumper into the fender and scratch your paint.

Once you have done this place the bumper down on the blanket and shown in PIC#2

Go ahead an look around and check some things out now that everything is way as you can see in PICS#3,4,5.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1459.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1460.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1461.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1462.jpg   Removing Amber/headlight baking.......-cimg1463.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 02:58 AM
UNV-IT46

Ok guys Its 3am and i am tired as hell. I will finish the DYI tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Wicked_limitz
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, great dyi so far! i wished i had a heated garage so i can take my front bumper off! its been 15 degrees where im at for the past week! i'll keep in touch with you bro.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Sick write up bro thanks a lot!! Look forward to the rest. Would you mind when you got done if I edited the thread and put it all into one post with the pictures hosted elsewhere? Makes for a neater DIY.

Last edited by DiamondGCoupe; 01-21-2008 at 01:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing Amber/headlight baking.......