Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car won't let me pump gas

Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car won't let me pump gas

So every now and a then, well i don't know lately b/c only putting a 20 in, but normally if i try to fill it up i get about 20 or 30 dollars in and it stops like its full. Its not full. I don't like dealerships but i know its a warranty issue. Anyone else have this?

Vik

Possible solution for htose not trying to read 3 pages, thanks peterbank:I didn't understnad it all but from the jist is slow down on the pumping and if that doesn't work then just chill for a minute.

Originally Posted by peterbanks
It has more to do with the shape of the tank, and the speed of the pump.

Read this:

Why do Gas Pumps shut off mid-fill? It happens because as the fuel goes into the tank it splashes and bubbles. As the tank gets closer to being full, the displacement caused by the bubbles forces the gas to go up the pipe that feeds the tank and triggers the "full" switch on the pump nozzle. This is similar to if you are filling up a cup of cola at a restaurant, you have to wait for the fizz to die down before you can put that last 1/4 in.

Now this:

Automatic shut-off design
As gasoline flows through a nozzle, it passes through a venturi that creates a vacuum. This vacuum is bled off through a tube inside the nozzle spout. Turn a spout over and you'll see the sensing hole that connects to this tube. Look inside the spout and you’ll see this connection.

As gasoline flows through the venturi, the air is being sucked in through this sensing hole, through the tube and back up to the venturi. So as gasoline is flowing out the nozzle, air is flowing in the sensing hole (bleeding off the vacuum), getting mixed into the gasoline at the venturi and moving back out with the gasoline. Everything is in balance.

When the car's tank is full, the level of gasoline rises in the fill pipe of the car and covers the sensing hole. The flow of air is effectively shut off and the venturi sets off a chain reaction in the automatic shut-off portion of the nozzle. As the vacuum in the venturi area builds, the diaphragm (which is connected to the venturi) begins to sense a higher vacuum. Once this vacuum reaches a pre-set level, the diaphragm moves, causing the nozzle to trip off. We refer to this as an automatic shut-off mechanism. Once again, everything is in balance.

So its the sensors right peterbank? lol

Last edited by solopresident; 12-07-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:10 AM
TerribleONE453

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
mine stopped like just below full a few times. by the sound of it.. yours is stopping like half? 3/4
Old 12-05-2007, 03:19 AM
Katastrophic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same thing happen i was filling up and the pump stopped i knew it wasnt full yet but i gave the benefit of the doubt so i stopped filling when the pump acted like it was full. Started the car and i was 1/4 tank from full, turned the car off and tried to put more in and i got the other quarter in i was lacking. I think there may be something going on with this !!
Old 12-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Hmmm.. This was a known problem on the early G35's. Hopefully it is not resurfacing with the G37.

I personally have not had any problems.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 AM
go4gr8

This is alarming!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:46 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
yup...had this problem in my Z...i haven't had this problem with my G37 yet...but the tsb on it was regarding some sensor that needed to be replaced. it's a big ordeal.

<knock on wood> hopefully i don't get this...it's frustrating. if i do then it's off to a bavarian...no way i am dealing with that twice.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

FAWKKKKKKKKKK!!! This is lame. I do go on lots of long distance triops and dont like to stop unless i have to. This will kill me come next month. So i have to stop gassing, start car, re enter CC info into machine pump some more and then go??

Super embarassing. I got a 50 K car that don't take gas, but your 82 beater does. GREAT
Someone tell me what to do. I hate dealerships touching my car and i know they will scratch the paint on the rims taking them off an on. What to do?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Gyoza

Not sure I understand.

So it clicks off like its full, and you dont know its not until you start the car? I would understand that, but how does it let you put in more after you restart? Can't you just continue to try and top it off the first time?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:54 AM
G37RacerX

Have you tried putting the gas in at a slower rate after it stops the first time?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 AM
05Scoobyroo

Sounds exactly like the issue that is present in the G35 Coupes. Things like this are starting to get to me, as Inifiniti has seen this issue occur in the 03.5-07 G Coupes, and it seems like they are too lazy to apply a fix. For $40K+??? It gives me heartburn!!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Greddy37

yea i had that problem too...i was like 30 miles to empty so i went to the gas station and it takes like 60 bucks to fill her up. wen i was filling it stopped and i was only at like $40 so i was like its not full but wen i tried again it acted as if it was full like u sed. i went to a different pump then it filled up. im wondering wat the problem is
Old 12-05-2007, 12:18 PM
go4gr8

Could it be the pump nozzle? Some of pumps have that additional accordion-like plastic piece to cover the nozzle, others do not. It's suppose to reduce splashing I think.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:57 PM
dandabirdman99

hey i had the same problem all i did 2 make it work was put less of the nozzle in. lol not 2 descriptive but that all i did i only put the nozzle in a couple of inches i was worried it would fall out the first time i did it but it was fine and ever since then i have doen that and i havent had any problems since then
Old 12-05-2007, 12:59 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
Someone tell me what to do.
1) live with it. if you can refill again at the pump then it's a minor inconvenience. my Z didn't let me do that...i had to run it for a while then repump.
2) take it to a dealership. west covina nissan lets you be there while they work on the car and they are very mod friendly.... they even have an alignment machine made for lowered cars. they take FULL responsibility for any mishaps...they damage your rims, they won't blink and eye to fix or replace it! i don't know how they react to Infiniti warranty though. Call Jeff Hess and ask. tell him you are a forum member (they get nice perks!)
3)pretend it doesn't exist
4)take it to an independant shop. download the tsb from a Z and pray he knows what he's doing.
5)Sell your car and get a 335i (pray you don't have fuel pump issues). lol.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM
mal_TX

Pressure builds up and triggers the "it's full" cut-off on the pump. For some reason Infiniti's design builds more pressure than other cars.

Solution -- Pump slower -- from the beginning -- to avoid the pressure build-up. If you go too fast and it builds up, wait a bit and then resume pumping, but slower. You need the pressure to go away and then you need to make sure not to re-trigger it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car won't let me pump gas